Snails (Pomacea canaliculata Lamarck) is a freshwater snail known as pest-old rice plants 10 days after transplanting. Loss achieved from pest snails range from 16-40% decline in grain production. In a matter of if farmers in one hectare of paddy produces 120 bags, so pests snails resulted in a decrease of 40% grain, the grain produced 72 sacks. At the time of a great attack snails are capable of damaging clumps of rice so farmers have to embroider or replant. if the attack is high enough snails are advised to plant rice over the age of 21 days.
Snails can live 2-6 years old, has a pink egg like mulberry fruit were placed in groups. Each group numbered 235-860 golden snail eggs, grains and dripping after 8-14 days old. That is why snails is difficult to control because its development is quite rapid.
To control the snails can be done several ways including:
1. Using natural enemies
Duck released in rice fields before transplanting and after harvest to feed on seedlings and young snails.
2. Using traps
Bamboo traps used are used or jute sack placed on pools of stagnant water rice given snails favorite foods such as coconut, papaya, bananas, rice and vegetable waste. The golden apple snail trap mounted on the afternoon, then on the next day snails congregate on the trap and was appointed to the mainland.
3. Drying rice water
If the snail attack, high enough mas make hollows or puddles around rice fields to facilitate the collection of snails.
4. Trap golden snail eggs
Plug in a piece of wood or bamboo along the rice fields to facilitate the collection of eggs and snails attached to a stick.
5. Provision of plants containing pesticide plant
Use plants that use botanical pesticides placed on such paddy water: tobacco leaf, root tubes, etc.
6. Sowing ash
Sprinkle coarse gray powder in areas where living snails, when absorbed into the body shell will cause death
Besides being known as a pest of rice, when examined there must be a silver lining behind the disaster. Farmers can take advantage of snails to make organic fertilizer. Meat snails and shells contain vitamins, protein, fat, carbohydrates, calcium and other nutrients that can be absorbed by plants so it is suitable for the manufacture of liquid organic fertilizer snails. For availability of raw materials is not feared snails because it has the ability to multiply very quickly.
HOW TO MAKING ORGANIC FERTILIZER LIQUID SNAILS
Material - materials used
- 1 kg conch mas alive
- 4 liters of water washing rice
- 2 liters of coconut water (coconut water waste on the market)
- 400 grams of red sugar / white sugar
- 4 liters of clean water
- 160 mm activator, microbes or other material.
- 1 Fruit size 20 liter plastic bucket.
- 1 Piece of used mineral water bottles 1 liter
- 0.5 meter small plastic hose
- One pair of grinding tools
- 1 Fruit strainer or a clean cloth
Ways of making
- Take the rice water mixed with activator or similar materials to accelerate the fermentation process 160 ml (Can Use Trichoderma, such as previous reviews) and deposition overnight.
- Mashed snails were still alive and their meat until soft shell
- Dilute the brown sugar mixed with clean water, and coconut water in one place.
- Mix all ingredients together, stirring until evenly distributed.
- Cover tightly with plastic buckets and tied. The top of the hole appropriate given the size of hose then put a small hose into a bucket connected with mineral water bottles filled with water half. The purpose of the treatment is to find out the fermentation process is underway try air gap exit through the hose. If the temperature in a sealed too high, the air will come out through the hose and remove air bubbles.
- Wait for the fermentation process for about 10-15 days.
- The treatment will be successful if the fermentation will emit a distinctive fresh scent. Fermented fails if it smells like a carcass.
- Fermented filtered and stored in a sealed container.
How to use
- Use of Liquid Organic Fertilizer snails can be sprayed on the soil surface or the entire plant.
- For fertilization in rice plants the recommended dose of 250 ml / 15 liters of water is sprayed at the age of 10 days after planting rice and repeated in interfal within 15 days.
- Fertilizing at the recommended dose of vegetable crops 200ml / 15 liters of water is sprayed on the leaves and soil 7 days after transplanting and repeated every 7 days.
- As for plantation crops such as oil palm recommended dose is 250 ml / 15 liters of water is sprayed on the surface of the soil and the roots every two weeks.
- In addition to the use of both is also used for the types of plants such as crops, horticulture and perennials.
The benefits of Liquid Organic Fertilizer snails corresponding field observations such as the following:
- To restore and improve soil fertility.
- In the rice fields fertilized Liquid Organic Fertilizer snails seem more fertile, more friable soil, there is the development of worms and microorganisms more.
- Improving crop production
- Nutrient content contained in Organic Liquid Fertilizer snails quickly absorbed by plants.
- Improving the quality of growth in plants.
- Environmentally friendly harmless to livestock.
If the farmer wants to implement and utilize snails as organic fertilizer materials, it will reduce production costs, a balance will be maintained, over time the golden snail pest can be controlled and not the main enemy and be beneficial to farmers.
Please read also about :
and more details, please download also a video tutorial about:
- how to make organic fertilizer alternative download here.
- how to make liquid fertilizer alternatif download here.
- how to make MOL (local microorganisms) with material banana weevil alternate download here or this.
- how to make the husk (paddy from waste materials) alternate download here or this.